Monday, May 3, 2010

Arizona Desert Paddling.


So I flew out to Phoenix AZ from Belize , the weather in AZ was of course wonderfully dry and got wonderfully cool at night(Belize was so hot when I left I couldn't stop sweating and nor could I get dry). After getting drilled at customs in Houston Texas by the customs officer about my history of a fiancee (Nina) who was from the USA (which created a whole lot of implied immigration issues for me), I eventually got my onward flight to Phoenix.

Phoenix had in the past 4 years been a bane for me (I had trouble with the culture, the sprawling city and lack of green). However over the years I made great contacts and friends in the kayaking sport which is funny seeing as this is a desert. So this trip around I was excited to be back to see friends and to enjoy the fun to be had in this strangely beautiful part of the world.

Heading out to the Arizona State University (ASU) Kayak Club pool nights had been a staple sanity keeper in the past years while staying here with Nina ( who has been studying to become a Naturopathic doctor and now is one) and I enjoyed the social aspect of it. Unfortunately this one night we turned up to find it had been canceled for a movie night across the pool ( WTF?) . Typical USA cancel a sporting event for a sit around and watch Finding Nemo Night! Bullshit! Nina who had just learnt to roll her kayak with the club was pissed she couldn't show me her new skills.

Pissed off and grumpy we all headed to the local Brew House " Four Peaks" for some food and beer. Oh, and I forgot to mention it was also my 29th birthday that night so we had some fun and a good chat. I also had the pleasure of meeting Cody Howard of Huckin Huge, that night. He is a Pro white water paddler and film maker, and hearing his stories of filming some of the biggest drops kayaked and the his pursuit of un-run rivers bigger and badder than before, had me riveted. We also talked a little of sea kayaking and the great adventures to be had there, though there was a coolness factor lacking in my stories compared to this extremist's near death tales of legend.

I look forward to seeing more of Cody's work and letting him influence me in my sea kayak and white waters endeavours perhaps.

Check out his website http://www.huckinhuge.com


On the weekend we headed up to the Salt River Class 3 run with the ASU Kayak Club and had a fun day. A bit of carnage, some swims, and a lot of fun. Here is a short Video of the 6 hour run.

Salt River Phoenix AZ from Jaime Sharp on Vimeo.




It was a great day and I am sad to leave AZ, though I believe I will return for white water action and some lake paddling in the future. The Desert, whitewater boaters DON'T underestimate it, it has some great runs in it.

Here are some useful links:

RIVER FACTS
http://www.riverfacts.com/states/az.html
List of river runs in the AZ area

AZ RIVER ADVENTURES
http://www.azriveradventures.com/index.php My mate Hut has a great company teaching white water and guiding runs in AZ and Colorado, and he is a fun contact to boat with any time. drop him a line if you are in the area.

ASU KAYAK CLUB
http://src.asu.edu/SportClubs/KayakClub
Looking for a club to join in Phoenix area to help you get out there and paddle or so you can learn? Check this site out!



Keep Exploring

Jaime

No comments: